Podcast repost 11.26.10 By CK Hunter
Tags: north korea attacks south, south korea, north korea, china, chinese prime minister, kim jong il, succession of power in north korea, 6 party talks china korea, ireland bank bailout, dublin, spain financial crisis, portugal, EU, euro, european union,
11.23.10 Re-post from Google News By CK Hunter
Seoul, South Korea (CNN) — North Korea on Tuesday fired artillery into the sea near its tense western sea border with South Korea, injuring at least
four South Korean soldiers, the Yonhap news agency reported.
At least 200 rounds of artillery hit an inhabited South Korean island, Yonhap said.
The firing began about 2:30 p.m. local time
The South Korean army raised its alert condition and braced for any possible fire, the report said.
The country’s military responded with 80 rounds of artillery and deployed fighter jets to counter the fire, Yonhap said.
Images of plumes of smoke were quickly broadcast on Yonhap television, but it was not immediately clear what the artillery had hit.
The island that was hit has a total of about 1,300 residents, a fisherman who lives on the island told Yonhap.
The South Korean immediately called an emergency meeting of its security ministers.
- ‘North Korea Fires At South Korean Island’ (news.sky.com)
- North, South Korea trade artillery fire: reports (marketwatch.com)
- SKorea: NKorea fires artillery onto island (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- North and South Korea exchange artillery fire (theglobeandmail.com)
- ‘Artillery fire’ on Korea border (bbc.co.uk)
- North Korea Attacks South (online.wsj.com)
- Athletes from South, North Korea come together at Asian Games (search.japantimes.co.jp)
- Report: North Korea, South Korea exchange shots (cnn.com)
- North Korea opens fire at South Korean border post: Report (topinews.com)
- South Korea watching for North’s nuke test: report (marketwatch.com)