Car Bomb Attempt in NYC Times Square on May 1st 2010

Updated 5.6.2010

This terror incident in NYC, averted, gratefully, is noteworthy as it is the first attempted car bombing on US soil since the so called war on terror began that has taken place in Times Square NYC.

By the grace of God, this attack did not happen, as the crudely assembled materials used to build the bomb failed to detonate. There were enough raw materials in the SUV to ignite a substantial explosion, which could have taken many lives, and damaged or destroyed buildings.

God has smiled on NYC  in this nerve searing near terror event. I believe inthe power of prayer, and I believe in Divine Intervention.

Something intervened in this incident. I call that something the Heavenly Father. NewYorkers should send up their prayers of gratitide and continue to pray for God’s protection over NYC and America.

CK Hunter

This image from an undated video released by the Pakistani Taliban video and provided by IntelCenter, a private contractor working for intelligence agencies, shows Pakistani Taliban chief Hakimullah Mehsud. (AP)

Times Square Bomb Attempt (May 1, 2010)

 By Hiroko Masuike for The New York Times Updated: May 4, 2010

A crude car bomb made from gasoline, propane, firecrackers and alarm clocks was discovered in a smoking Nissan Pathfinder in the heart of Times Square on May 1, 2010, prompting the evacuation of thousands of tourists and theatergoers on a warm and busy night. Although the device had apparently started to detonate, there was no explosion. Just before midnight on May 3, a naturalized U.S. citizen from Pakistan, Faisal Shahzad, was pulled from a Dubai-bound airliner at John F. Kennedy International Airport and arrested in connection with the incident. A law enforcement official said the following morning that Mr. Shahzad had made statements implicating himself, and had said that he had acted alone. Mr. Shahzad had recently returned to his home in Shelton, Conn., after a five-month visit to Pakistan. He was located after investigators traced the 1993 Nissan Pathfinder that law enforcement officials say he abandoned after loading it with gasoline, propane, firecrackers and fertilizer and parking it on West 45th Street during the busy pre-theater rush. Mr. Shahzad is believed to have bought the vehicle from a Connecticut woman within the last three weeks for $1,300, and authorities were able to identify him through an email address he had given the seller.

A law enforcement official said the two had met in a parking lot in Connecticut, that Mr. Shahzad had given the Pathfinder a test drive, and the he’d negotiated the price down to $1,300 from the $1,800 initially sought by the seller. While Mr. Shahzad is reported to have said he had acted alone, law enforcement officials have said the investigation is ongoing. An official in Parkistan’s Interior Ministry said that Mr. Shahzad had come to Pakistan in April 2009 and departed on August 5 on an Emirates Airways flight. The official said that Mr. Shahzad stayed in the port city of Karachi during that period. Read More… The Incident A video surveillance camera recorded what was believed to be the dark green Nissan S.U.V. driving west on 45th Street at 6:28 pm. Moments later, two street vendors on the sidewalk saw smoke coming out of vents near the back seat of the S.U.V., which was now parked awkwardly at the curb with its engine running and hazard lights on.

They heard the sound of firecrackers going off inside the vehicle, and called out to a mounted police officer, who smelled gunpowder when he approached it and called for assistance. The police began evacuating Times Square, starting with businesses along Seventh Avenue, including a Foot Locker store and a McDonald’s. Police officers from the emergency service unit and firefighters flooded the area. The firefighters, who were responding to a report of a car fire, cleared the area and readied their hoses, but then decided to leave the S.U.V. for the bomb squad. The police also learned that the Pathfinder had the wrong license plates on it. Members of the bomb squad donned protective gear, broke the vehicle’s back windows and sent in a “robotic device” to “observe,” said Deputy Commissioner Paul J. Browne, the police department’s chief spokesman. Inside, they discovered three canisters of propane, two five-gallon cans of gasoline, fireworks — the apparent source of the “pops” — and two clocks with batteries. Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg described the device by saying it “looked amateurish.” Most of the ingredients of the explosive device could have been bought at a home-supply store. The canisters of propane were similar to those used for barbecue grills.

The firecrackers were consumer-grade M-88s sold legally in some states, including Pennsylvania. The device was found in the back of the S.U.V., Mr. Kelly said, with the gasoline cans closest to the back seat and the gun locker behind them. The fertilizer was in eight clear plastic bags bearing the logo of a store that the police declined to identify. The wires from battery-powered fluorescent clocks ran into the locker, where a metal pressure-cooker pot contained a thicket of wires and more M-88s, he said. Investigators believed that the fuses on the firecrackers had been lighted but did not explode. The burning fuses apparently ignited a portion of the vehicle’s interior, causing a small fire that filled the inside with smoke. The pops heard by a firefighter as he approached the vehicle might may have been made by the fireworks failing to fully detonate, one official said. The Investigation The Pathfinder was brought to a forensics center in Jamaica, Queens, where investigators were scouring it for DNA evidence and hairs, fibers and fingerprints. F.B.I. agents and detectives from the Joint Terrorist Task Force were also trying to determine where the propane and gasoline were purchased. The gun locker, which weighed about 75 pounds empty and upward of 200 pounds with the bags of fertilizer, could provide important clues because it can probably be more easily traced than many of the other items found in the S.U.V.

The weight of the locker and the material inside raised questions as to whether it might have required more than one person to load it into the vehicle. Identifying the owner of the Pathfinder was achieved through the S.U.V.’s vehicle identification number, which had been stripped from the car’s dashboard but was stamped on other car parts, like the engine block and axle. The license plate on the S.U.V. was connected to a different vehicle that was awaiting repairs in Stratford, Conn., where F.B.I. agents and the local police awoke the owner of the repair shop at 3 a.m. on May 2. The shop owner, Wayne LeBlanc, who runs Kramer’s Used Auto Parts, said the authorities had seized a black Ford F-150 pickup truck.

The Pakistan Connection RE the NYC Car Bomb Threat

Pakistani Suspect Faisal Shahzad Caught Within Minutes of Attempted NYC Car Bombing; 2 Other Suspects Held in Pakistan

Airline Security Loophole Exposed Due to Faisal Shahzad Arrest Investigation

Was Faisal Trained in Pakistan & Is His Disclosed “Intelligence” Provided Under Interrogation Actually Worth A Dime?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s