“Every day we are producing several kilos of 20% enriched uranium. In the near future we will be producing triple that amount.”
Re-post courtesy of Euronews.net
President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad – at the centre of the worst domestic crisis since 1979 – told his supporters at Freedom Square that Iran’s nuclear capability has leapt ahead.
“Every day we are producing several kilos of 20 percent enriched uranium, and in the near future we will treble its production,” he said. “Right now at Natanz we have the capability to enrich uranium to much higher levels.”
In fact, he told the crowd, Iran can now enrich uranium to more than 80 per cent purity, close to levels needed to build a bomb, though the president denied once more that that was the intention.
State television said tens of millions of people across Iran rallied to support the president.
But Ahmedinejad’s disputed election win in June last year has spawned a vocal and widespread opposition movement.
Copyright © 2010 euronews
Related articles by Zemanta
- Ahmadinejad: Iran Enriched 20% Pure Uranium, Opium (scrappleface.com)
- Iran Completed First Batch of 20% Uranium, Ahmadinejad Says (businessweek.com)
- Iran: High Grade Uranium Enrichment Claimed (riehlworldview.com)
- ‘Nuclear’ Iran Marks Anniversary With Clashes (abcnews.go.com)
- ‘Nuclear’ Iran Marks Revolution Anniversary (abcnews.go.com)
- On Iran: Time for the Next Step (themoderatevoice.com)
- New Iran Nuke Move Prompts Sanctions Call (news.sky.com)
- Iran Declares New Achievement on Enrichment (nytimes.com)
- Clashes reported as Iran marks Revolution Day (calgaryherald.com)
- Clashes, arrests reported as Iran marks Revolution Day (nationalpost.com)